Oakland Athletics have tough questions for ALDS Roster
The Oakland Athletics’ Billy Beane has tough questions for ALDS Roster.
With a week to go, what will Gm Billy Beane do about the 25 man roster for next Saturday’s game one of the divisional series. There are three serious questions Beane must address before the series. These positions will be key for the Green And Gold to advance to the ALCS for the first time since 2006.
Catcher The A s have 3 young catchers who all can play and start the series. The shoe in seems like lefty Steven Vogt, since he’s the only left catcher on the roster. So it’d between the Veteran Kurt Suzuki and young Derrick Norris.
The reasons to start Suzuki • experience veteran who knows most of the staff
• As of 2006 Kurt leads the AL in catcher ERA. It’s the main reason fans love him for his defense/ arm and signs he gives the pitchers. The reason not to start its his batting
• The average and power has been down late in his career. Even though he’s doing better average wise now then at Dc but will Beane consider that to factor?
Reason to start Norris • knows the system from this season while playing with the injured Veteran catcher Jon Jaso, there will be no shot Jaso will make a return for the playoffs. Norris is like able in the clubhouse, and has a great power in the bat between the catchers in the system.
Reason not to bring him up
• Norris has been injured as well this season, and still trying to find his groove back behind the plate. He is younger as well than Suzuki. Also with Norris he has a very low batting average. Plus Norris s era with the pitchers behind the plate isn’t like the Vet Kurt . So Kurt and Vogt should most likely be the 2 catchers.
There’s a battle between young Starting Pitchers for the 4th spot. Aj Griffin and Dan Straily. There could be small cases for Tommy Millone and Veteran Bret Anderson. Well the A s major problem is they have too many starting pitchers. Some teams wouldn’t mind too many starters, but in this case with a 4 man rotation typically for the playoffs it’s much harder to decide like the a s for intense. Anderson the vet has been hurt through his career, and coming back this season to the bullpen hasn’t been pleasant. Tommy Milone will have a better shot than Anderson it looks like. Plus there’s a shot Milone could go to the bullpen, and the same with Griffin or Straily.
The factors for Griffin
• Experience: he started game 4 of the playoffs last season.
• 14 game winner with nasty stuff
• An innings horse going 200 innings this season
The big factor not to start him
• Home Runs: Griffin is number 1 in baseball for giving up homers with 36 long balls. So he does have some control issues at time will that be a factor?
Reasons for Dan Straily
• A young kid who can strike out batters, and make them miserable at times.
• Rookie of the year candidate and had a taste of the majors. Melvin and Beane think this kid can be something very special. • A 10 game winning pitcher who’s been the odd man out because of depth and injury issues.
Factors he won’t start
• ERA: Straily has a slight higher ERA than Griffin at 3.96 than 3.83 for Griff.
• Didn’t start in last seasons playoffs.
• Young pitcher against big teams. He hasn’t pitched well against like Texas s and the Detroit s. Most likely it will be Detroit, but he could be the long reliever in the bullpen.
Josh Reddick or Chris Young?
Right Fielder Josh Reddick has been up and down all this season. Batting 225 with 12 homers with also injures was not the season Reddick wanted. They also have a veteran in Chris Young in the outfield. He to has had a struggle, but some say he hasn’t played all season is this reason for the struggle. Both Reddick and Young have power if it goes their way. The differences between these two is Reddick with the Gold glove arm. Young doesn’t really have that, plus has been questioned by fans. They expected more from him from being acquired from the Diamondbacks for Cliff Penningtion a fan favorite and a prospect. The beef with Reddick from the fans is his plate discipline, thinking his swing is gone and being to lazy at the plate. The D is still great some drop backs from last season. Well the proud and loud RF bleacher gang always know they have Reddick s back. Will Billy Beane have his back or Young s more heading in? Time will tell in the week coming up for the Athletics to advance deep in the postseason. Last season was magical, and were glad they made it in by winning the division. This year most of the original cast is back, and they are hungry for a deep playoff run, and not a 1st round exit. They want a sniff of that World Series ring. They want to also prove chemistry over money wins games, and championships.